This yummy Meatless Monday recipe is perfect for the fall and very easy to make. Veggie "noodles" are a popular choice as they can make comfort food a bit lighter and healthier. You can buy a gadget that turns vegetables into noodles, or some stores sell veggie noodle already prepared. You can also use a shredder for similar results. These butternut squash noodles are rich and full of flavor, and the shiitake mushrooms serve as a great meat substitute. The creaminess and saltiness of the feta and the bite of the basil add some great elements to the dish as well.
Butternut Squash Noodles with Snap Peas and Shiitake Mushrooms
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10-15 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 3 cups butternut squash spirals
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup snap peas, removed from shells
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Wash and dry the shiitake mushrooms and cut into thin slices.
- In a large pan over medium high temperature, add the olive oil and allow to heat up. Add the sliced shiitake mushrooms to the pan. Stir occasionally for 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Add snap peas to the pan and lower the heat to medium. Cook 2-3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add butternut squash spirals to the pan and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until spirals are tender but al dente, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- Scoop the vegetables into bowls and sprinkle with feta. Garnish with chopped basil and/or olive oil, if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
I hope you enjoy this Meatless Monday dish. What other ingredients would you add to this meal?
Photo courtesy of Scarlet Paolicchi.