Tuesday, March 01, 2011
Spiced French Toast Bake To Make Ahead | Family Economics
I may have gotten a little carried away over the holidays when it came to buying canned pumpkin. The last two years there was a canned pumpkin shortage and I didn’t want to run out of it in the middle of the year when there are no cans of pumpkin in the grocery store.
Now I find myself with a large stockpile of canned pumpkin, just in case. We make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins and Cookies regularly. But I wanted to change it up a little! Here is a fun new recipe I encourage you to try.
Pumpkin Spice French Toast Bake
1 French bread loaf, torn into one inch pieces
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon each of ginger, allspice and nutmeg
½ cup milk
¾ cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Powdered sugar or maple syrup for serving
Side of fresh fruit
1. Place torn French bread loaf pieces into a lightly greased 8 inch by 8 inch glass baking dish.
2. Sprinkle the cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg over the bread pieces and toss lightly.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, canned pumpkin and maple syrup. Pour over the spiced bread pieces.
4. Cover with Saran™ Wrap and refrigerate overnight.
5. In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the plastic wrap and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
6. During the last 20 minutes of baking, cover lightly with a piece of foil to prevent browning of the bread pieces.
7. Let cool slightly before cutting. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or maple syrup. Serve with a side of fresh fruit.
What’s your favorite make-ahead breakfast?