Friday, October 15, 2010
Spicy Lentil Soup Recipe | Family Economics
Lentils have a bad reputation. They are known for their bland taste, but they really don’t have to be.
With enough heat and kick, lentils can be transformed into a delicious, time-warming, taste bud-igniting spicy lentil soup. Try this recipe:
1 cup chopped yellow onion
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 jalapenos, chopped
1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 cup lentils
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or pepper jack
Salt and pepper to taste
Tortilla chips for dipping
1. In a large saucepan, sauté the chopped onions, crushed garlic cloves and chopped jalapenos for four to five minutes, or until onions turn translucent.
2. Stir in the can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, broth, water, lentils and chili powder.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium
4. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
5. Once the lentils are soft, pour the soup into a blender or food processor and puree the soup.
6. Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top of each bowl.
7. Serve spicy lentil soup with tortilla chips.
Do you have a favorite cold weather soup? I’d love to try it out!