Friday, June 3, 2011
Fresh Squeezed Lemonade with Raspberry Ice Cubes | Family Economics
Summertime is here and there’s nothing better than sitting outside under the warm sun, sipping on a delicious glass of fresh squeezed lemonade! Add in a few raspberry ice cubes and you’ve got the best summertime drink out there.
The key to making the most perfect and deliciously intoxicating fresh squeezed lemonade is the “simple syrup.” You can add fresh squeezed lemon juice, water and sugar to a pitcher and mix it up, but that’s really not the best way to go about making lemonade. You have got to make the simple syrup, and then add that to the fresh squeezed lemon juice and water.
Making simple syrup is really, well, simple! It’s just a one-to-one ratio of sugar to water that is boiled and then cooled. Then the syrup is ready to meet the fresh squeezed lemon juice.
The lemon and raspberry flavors is such a delectable combination.
Fresh Squeezed Lemonade with Raspberry Ice Cubes
Raspberry ice cubes
1 cup water
½ cup sugar
1 pint raspberries
1 cup sugar
4 to 5 cups water
8 lemons, juiced
Raspberry ice cubes
1. To make the raspberry ice cubes, add one cup of water and half cup of sugar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, add the raspberries and let cook for about five minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and use a potato masher or fork to gently mash the raspberries. You want some of them to stay mostly intact and others to let out their delicious red juices.
4. Let cool for about 20 minutes, and then pour the raspberries and syrup juice into ice cube trays.
5. Allow four to six hours for complete freezing. Makes 30 to 36 ice cubes.
1. For the simple syrup, add one cup of sugar and one cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring once or twice.
2. Then remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes before adding to the lemon juice.
3. Juice the lemons and pour the juice into the serving pitcher.
4. Dilute with three to four cups of water, depending on how strong you like your lemonade.
5. Stir in the slightly cooled simple syrup and refrigerate for at least two hours.
6. Serve the fresh squeezed lemonade with raspberry ice cubes.
Makes four to six servings.
Does your family love lemonade? Do you make your own or do you prefer the mixes?