Friday, August 31, 2012
Fill Your Freezer with My Ten Favorite Frozen Meals | Family Economics
The end of summer means leaving our leisurely summer days behind and shifting to our busy school schedules. Getting ahead in the kitchen by creating meals and then freezing them is a quick, easy and mess-free way of making a dinner that leaves me feeling less frazzled come dinnertime.
Below are my ten favorite go-to meals that freeze, thaw and reheat well and are sure to please the crowd at your house! I’ve included 2 of my favorite “slow cooker freezer meals” in this list as well.
My Ten Favorite Freezer Meals
1. Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas: Freeze these with cooked shredded chicken before baking. Just sprinkle the cheese on top, cover with foil and freeze.
2. Italian Stuffed Shells: This is one of those “triple up” meals. They take a little time to assemble, so while you’re at it, you might as well make three meals worth or more if you’re feeling ambitious.
3. Chicken Taco Bake: Freeze chicken mixture, reheat and serve over chips with cheese melted on top.
4. Spicy Southern Chili in Bread Bowls: Freeze just the chili portion and serve in a bowl or with a bread bowl if you have time to make them.
5. Tortellini Casserole: Dump the ingredients in a Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags with the Smart Zip® Seal and thaw when you’re ready to use. Do not freeze with the sauce. Make it as you are reheating the other ingredients, pour over the top and reheat all together.
6. Lightened Up Chicken Parmesan: Save time, money and calories with this lightened up Italian favorite.
7. No Boil Freezer Manicotti: Italian doesn’t get tastier or easier than this manicotti.
8. Baked Oatmeal: A great breakfast for dinner. Be sure to bake before freezing. If you want a quick breakfast on the go, cut the baked oatmeal into squares and freeze individually.
9. Slow Cooker Mango Chicken with Zucchini: Freezes beautifully. Thaw partially before loading into the slow cooker.
10. Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Chicken Curry: Freezes and thaws well, This is sure to be your next family favorite!
As mentioned above, I like to use Ziploc® Brand Freezer Bags with the Smart Zip® Seal to keep these dishes fresh and ready for my family.
Do you cook and freeze meals or have any questions about freezer cooking?