Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Organizing in 10 Minutes | Family Economics
As busy moms it seems we seldom have long periods of time to organize, clean and sort out areas in our lives that seem to go unorganized for long periods of time.
However, I know as a mom I often have 10 minutes here and there where I could squeeze in a 10 minute organizing project if I had a list of ideas. I have created a list of 10 organizing projects you can accomplish in 10 minutes to refer to when you have 10 minutes to spare:
1. Kids’ backpacks/bags: Grab your kids’ school backpacks or sports bags and completely dump them out. Remove items that do not belong, dispose of garbage, re-fill the backpack or bag with the items that belong as well as re-stock items if necessary.
2. Money saving coupons: Organize your money saving coupons into a coupon caddy by category or stores where you will use them. Toss out all of the expired coupons or ones you won’t use.
3. Fridge cleanout: Begin by completely empting out your fridge. Dispose of all expired or unwanted items. Take a damp cloth and wipe out each shelf. Organize your items back into the fridge for quick access and the ability to now quickly take inventory when it is time to make your grocery shopping list.
4. Magazines, newspapers, catalogs: Organize and clean out your stacks of magazines, newspapers and catalogs. Create a pile to “read” and a pile to “discard.” Don’t forget to carry out your discarded pile to the recycle bin.
5. Linen closet: If your linen closet is disorganized, empty out all of your linens, placing them into a “keep” pile and a “discard” pile (discarded linens make great garage rags). Neatly re-fold all linens you are keeping and organize them back on the shelves of your linen closet in categories.
6. Junk drawer: Give yourself only 10 minutes to empty and sort your junk drawer. Use Ziploc® Brand Sandwich or Quart Size bags to organize things into categories before placing them back into the junk drawer. Be sure to dispose of the items that have been in the junk drawer for a long period of time and are unneeded.
7. Car glove box compartment: Head out to your car with two bags. Empty out your glove box, placing garbage into one of the bags, items that belong back in the house into the other bag. Then organize items back into the glove box that are needed in your car. This is also a good time to make note of things that need, re-filling anti-bacterial wipes, flashlight, batteries, etc.
8. Phone calls: Grab your phone, calendar and phone book and begin making phone calls of appointments that your family is in need of or other calls that are on your to-do list waiting to be done.
9. Purse and wallet: Remove all the contents of your purse and/or wallet. Begin sorting garbage, receipts to file, etc. Next, place items back into your purse and wallet in an organized manner so that you can easily find what you are looking for without having to dig for it. Be sure to refill items that you are in need of, such as tissue, nail file, etc.
What is on your to-do list that you can organize in 10 minutes or less?