Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Green Convenience Foods and Healthy Snack Ideas
My friend recently expressed that it is often hard to find convenience foods for on-the-go snacks. Instead of grabbing fast food and individually packaged products just to save time, try a healthier and greener alternative that only requires two things:
1. Reusable containers in small sizes
2. A small time investment once a week
By choosing to use reusable containers, like Ziploc® Brand Containers, to pack your own convenience foods, you will save on all of the packaging waste that can be prevalent in on-the-go foods at convenience stores. Packing fresher and organic snack foods is also a great benefit for a healthier lifestyle. Choosing eco-friendly and healthy snacks may also save you money, since individually packaged items can be more expensive than buying larger quantities.
Once a week, get out your stack of reusable containers and pack them with healthy goodies. This could be a great family activity to get the children involved in food preparation and can be wonderful bonding time. The number of reusable containers and the items you pack, whether for a meal, snack, or both, will depend on your family's needs.
Here are a few ideas for healthy on-the-go convenience foods that both children and adults can enjoy:
1. Whole fruit (no packaging required, so it’s easy to grab and go)
2. Sliced fruit (especially great for toddlers)
3. Vegetables (carrots, cherry tomatoes, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc.)
4. Vegetables with dip (peanut butter, cream cheese, or hummus)
5. Thick slices of cold cuts and/or cheese cut up into bite size pieces
6. Multigrain crackers or chunks of multigrain bread
7. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
9. Oatmeal cookies
10. Boiled eggs
11. Deviled eggs (Put the two halves back together so they don't make a mess when storing)
12. Pasta, potato, tuna or egg salad
15. Trail mix or nuts
18. Soy chips
19. Banana or zucchini bread
20. Dried fruit
What is your favorite on-the-go healthy and eco-friendly snack?