Monday, July 23, 2012
Choosing Greener Beauty Products this Summer
Summer is finally here and with it comes several changes to our beauty regimen. When the warm weather hits we spend more time outdoors, often at the pool or in shorts and flip-flops, as well as more time traveling and visiting with friends and family. To keep your summer beauty routine environmentally friendly while on-the-go, below are a few of my favorite tips!
1. Look for beauty products that contain organic or natural ingredients. Remember, what you put on your skin gets absorbed into the rest of your body as well, so making sure your skincare products are simple and natural is important. Look for soaps made with natural oils and butter, hair care that is scented with essential oils, and lotions that use natural plant extracts.
2. When traveling, purchase reusable containers for your shampoo and conditioners instead of buying small travel sized disposable products. You will save yourself a considerable amount of money and will be able to reuse the containers on every vacation you take. Ziploc® Brand bags are great for food storage, and traveling too!
3. Consider making some of your own beauty care products. Use ingredients that are already in your pantry or that are easily found at your grocery store to create your own inexpensive and organic, beauty products. Homemade foot scrubs are easy:
• Just heat 1/2 cup organic coconut oil in a glass container for 15 seconds in the microwave.
• Add 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp of essential oil and mix well.
• Use this on your feet to moisturize and exfoliate.
4. Buy in larger containers if you know you are going to use a lot of a product. For example, individually wrapped hand sanitizing wipes might be convenient, but they create an awful lot of waste. Choose a large tub of wipes instead.
5. Make sure you recycle your packaging! Whether it is the box your bar of soap came in, the plastic shampoo bottle or the empty can of shaving cream, your beauty routine would have a much smaller ecological footprint if you chose to recycle all of the packaging!
Now that summer is here, how have you changed your beauty routine?