Tuesday, January 6, 2015
10 Green New Years Resolutions
Resolving to make greener choices is a fantastic New Year's Resolution! Here are 10 specific ways to make greener choices every day! People are at different levels in their green efforts. So if you already do one of these―just think about how you can take it to the next level!
1. Recycle. You already recycle? That is fabulous. I bet you can recycle even more! You may want to check out these free recycling apps for ideas!
2. Upcycle. Can't recycle it? Think about ways to upcycle or repurpose it. There are so many ideas and DIY projects can be really fun!
3. Reusable grocery bags. Get them and use them! It really is easy once you make a habit of it. Have your kids help remind you to bring your reusable bags into the store and give them a treat when they do. Going green is a family effort!
4. Reusable water bottles. Get a filter and a reusable water bottle so you don't have to buy plastic water bottles! Reduce plastic waste and save money.
5. Avoid Styrofoam. Styrofoam is rarely recycled and has a long degradation time.
6. Try cloth napkins and dish towels. It is easy to reduce your paper towel consumption when you use cloth napkins and dish towels.
7. Use rechargeable batteries. Use of rechargeable batteries helps keep toxic batteries out of landfills.
8. Use CFL light bulbs. CFL light bulbs use about 75 percent less energy than traditional bulbs.
9. Drive less. Carpool when possible, bike, or walk.
10. Conserve energy. Use these tips to stay warm without raising the thermostat and use less electricity.
What are your green New Year's resolutions? I'd love to hear them as they can help inspire others! There are so many more!
Photo courtesy of Scarlet Paolicchi.
Green in the New Year
Six Money-Saving New Year's Resolutions
New Year's Resolutions You Can Stick To
Meatless Monday Seed Loaf Recipe
15 Energy Efficiency Tips That You Can Start Doing Today
Ways to Stay Warm Without Raising the Thermostat