Press Room

SC Johnson's Waxdale Manufacturing Facility

With the addition of two new wind turbines, SC Johnson’s Waxdale manufacturing facility produces an average of 100 percent of its electrical energy onsite. Waxdale is SC Johnson’s largest global manufacturing facility and is located in Mt. Pleasant, Wis., which is now the site of the largest company-owned wind turbine manufacturing project in the Midwest. The addition of wind energy further minimizes Waxdale’s dependence on fossil fuels.

About Waxdale

For nearly 60 years, SC Johnson has operated its largest global manufacturing facility right in its hometown headquarters community. Today, Waxdale is the birthplace of millions of trusted household products every year. Products made at Waxdale are used all over the world. Waxdale is now home to the largest turbines located at a manufacturing facility in Wisconsin.

How Big is Waxdale?

  • The buildings at Waxdale cover 2.2 million square feet – about the size of 36 football fields.
  • The facility’s main aisle is three quarters of a mile long from north to south.
  • Waxdale has its own fire brigade, medical center and two cafeterias.
  • The facility’s fire protection system, alone, contains 25 miles of piping.
  • Waxdale’s operations include 16 finished goods manufacturing lines and a components plant.

What Does Waxdale Produce?

  • Glade®, Windex®, Pledge®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Shout®, Raid® and OFF!® are all among the trusted household products made at Waxdale.
  • Waxdale is the largest and fastest single-site aerosol producer in the world, producing 430 million aerosol cans each year.
  • The facility has some lines capable of producing up to 600 aerosols per minute.
  • Altogether, Waxdale produces 60 million cases of product each year.

How has Waxdale Worked to Green its Manufacturing?

  • With its two new wind turbines, Waxdale is producing an average of 100 percent of its electrical energy onsite.
  • The turbines provide about 15 percent of the facility’s electrical energy, while Waxdale’s two cogeneration turbines provide the remaining 85 percent.
  • Waxdale has saved about $180,000 and 1.3 million kilowatts (kW) per year by increasing lighting efficiency.
  • Waxdale recycles or reuses about 75 percent of its solid waste stream.
  • A new aerosol production line at Waxdale uses compressed gas to manufacture aerosols such as Pledge® with reduced volatile organic compounds – about six million pounds less in its first year of operation.
  • Waxdale has a no-idling policy and uses bio-diesel for spotter trucks that move trailers to and from warehouse dock doors.
  • Waxdale uses load-building software to increase truckload utilization for product shipments, which reduces overall shipments and emissions.

Find out more about SC Johnson’s Waxdale manufacturing facility at www.scjohnson.com/report

&nbps;
© 2017 S. C. Johnson & Son, Inc. All Rights reserved Home Privacy Terms of Use Search Site Map
AdChoices