SC Johnson’s production plant in Toluca achieves zero manufacturing waste for the fifth consecutive year
MEXICO CITY, Mexico, July 27th, 2022 – Aware of the importance of protecting and preserving the environment, SC Johnson, a manufacturer of household brands such as Pato®, FamilyGuard®, Windex®, Mr. Músculo®, continues to work globally to create a more sustainable world by reducing its environmental impact as well as inspiring families, communities, and organizations to join efforts to have a waste-free world through multiple approaches that include recycling and reusing waste from its manufacturing processes. These actions have enabled the company’s manufacturing plant in Toluca to achieve its Zero Waste goal for five consecutive years since all waste is treated for a new life preventing it from reaching landfills. Specifically, during the last lustrum, the plant avoided sending more than 430 tons of waste to landfill.
“We are proud the Toluca plant is on track to meet our global goals and create a more sustainable world along the way,” said Alan VanderMolen, Senior Vice President and Chief Communications Officer for SC Johnson. “At SC Johnson, we believe that by promoting actions that help us reduce our waste, our energy and water consumption, as well as our carbon emissions, we can accelerate the transition towards a circular economy and generate a lasting change.”
Initiatives with which the SC Johnson Toluca plant creates a more sustainable world
Within the SC Johnson facilities in Toluca, State of Mexico, 60% of waste materials such as paper, cardboard, metal, and plastic are being currently recycled, 35% are reused and 5% of them are sent for energy recovery with strategic partners of the company, a process that uses waste as fuel for the cement industry. Hence, the company ensures that none of the waste derived from its manufacturing processes reaches landfills. In addition, by 2025 they have the objective of reducing their greenhouse gas emissions by 10%, compared to 2020.
Some of the company's most remarkable efforts on sustainability issue on this site are:
1. Resource management
- Recycling and circularity: Every month, up to 80,000 kilograms of SC Johnsons’ containers and packaging products produced at the plant that do not meet the company’s quality standards are recycled and transformed into new materials or reintegrated into the production process.
- Water treatment: At the SC Johnson site in Toluca, there is a water treatment plant that treats wastewater from the toilets and from the chemical processes of the products. Subsequently, this water is used to irrigate the green areas of the facilities. Thus, each month approximately up to 1.4 million liters are treated. It is also worth noting that by 2023, these facilities will reduce the water used from both wells and industrial parks by 30% compared to 2020.
2. Alternative energies
- The company is also concerned with the use of clean energy; therefore, 65% of the electricity used within the facilities comes from wind sources. In addition, it is worth mentioning that the plant has solar panels that provide hot water to the bathrooms as well as energy to the dining rooms.
3. Education and empowerment of communities
- SC Johnson shares with its collaborators and their families information ranging from plastic recycling to at-home-farming practices. Before the pandemic, workshops were held in the greenhouses that the company built specifically for promoting the harvest of its own food and plant care. With these activities, which are yet to return to Toluca’s agenda, SC Johnson seeks to inspire the community to join in the action.
Like the Toluca plant, currently, 82% of SC Johnson's manufacturing sites around the world generate zero waste to landfill and it is expected it will be 100% of them by 2025. Therefore, the company does not lower its guard and continues to implement sustainability initiatives that promote care for the environment in every facility, promoting environmental education among its collaborators too in order of inspiring the rest of the community and serving as a reference for the industry.
SC Johnson is committed to creating a more sustainable world for the next generation through education efforts and conservation for the benefit of the planet that favor the transition towards a circular economy, which means minimizing waste and ensuring that the value of the products, materials, and resources remain as part of the economy for as long as possible.
About SC Johnson
Founded in 1886 and headquartered in Racine, Wisconsin USA, SC Johnson believes that a more sustainable, healthier and transparent world that inspires people and creates opportunities isn't just possible – it's our responsibility.
A heritage of innovation and bold, transparent decisions is why our high-quality products and iconic brands – including OFF!®, Raid®, Glade®, Windex®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Ziploc®, Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day®, method®, Autan®, Baygon®, Mr Muscle®, Duck®, Lysoform® and more – are in homes, schools and businesses in virtually every country worldwide.
As a global, purpose-led company, we are committed to making the world a better place today and for future generations. That means relentlessly bringing our expertise in science, innovation and partnerships to bear on some of the world's most pressing environmental and health issues like reducing plastic waste and eradicating malaria. Around the world, we use our resources to unlock greater economic and educational opportunities for people and communities where access may be limited, but curiosity and potential are limitless.