300 Million Reasons to Start Recycling at Home
Here’s a shocking stat: It’s estimated that the United States generates nearly 300 million tons of waste per year. That’s about 4.9 pounds per day for every person in the country!1 And that’s just the U.S.
As a company that’s committed to working toward a waste-free world, SC Johnson is taking steps to use less packaging, make our products more sustainable, and support innovative recycling programs in communities around the world.
We hope you’ll join us! Recycling is a great option in many communities that helps reduce the need for virgin plastic, aluminum, glass, paper and paperboard. Instead, existing materials can be reused.
Here are some tips to help your family get started…
Items you can recycle curbside
These items are accepted in many curbside recycling programs. Remember to clean and dry items before putting them in the bin. Food or liquids in a container can contaminate an entire load of recyclables.
- Glass bottles and jars
- Plastic bottles, jars, jugs and tubs
- Newspaper and other paper
- Cereal and other paperboard boxes
- Flattened cardboard boxes
- Food and beverage cans including aluminum and steel cans
- Steel and aluminum aerosol cans
Items you can recycle, but possibly not curbside
Check with your recycling company to see how best to recycle these items, for example taking them to a local collection point. Many communities have drop-off options for recycling rather than disposing of these items in the trash. See how we’re helping here.
- Plastic film, including grocery bags, plastic wraps, flexible plastic packaging
- Paint cans and other containers
- Cords or wires
These items are generally not recyclable
Try to reduce use of items that can’t be recycled so you aren’t contributing to the local waste stream.
- Cups or containers with wax or plastic coatings
- Foam cups, takeout containers or egg cartons
- Food-soiled cardboard or wet paper
Ways to reduce waste
Before you recycle, consider whether reuse is an option. For example:
- Reuse paper for art projects before recycling
- Buy cleaner refills to reuse trigger bottles before recycling
- Try thrift shopping and be sure to donate old clothes
- Turn glass containers into planters
- Use reusable bags for shopping
- Buy a reusable water bottle
At SC Johnson, we work hard every day for a more sustainable world. We salute every individual and organization that joins the charge to reduce waste and protect our planet today and for the future. Find more ways to get involved here.