The phrases “innovative architecture” and “office building” are rarely found together in the same sentence. And especially not before World War II. Barring a few notable exceptions — the Chrysler Building in New York City and the Louis Sullivan building in Chicago — office buildings in the early part of the 20th century were built to fulfil a function, rather than to emphasise a form.
That is until , third generation leader of SC Johnson, commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to design an office building for Johnson Wax in 1936.
One of the most prolific and renowned architects of the 20th century, Frank Lloyd Wright spent his career experimenting with new materials, new designs and advanced theories that integrated architecture into natural surroundings — something he called organic architecture.
In 1936, however, Wright was just about broke. The Great Depression and a few reports regarding his personal life had taken their toll. Wright was ready, if not eager, to get back to work. So, when H.F. came calling, Wright met with him, regardless of whether the commission appeared glamorous or not.
The two men, both hailing from the same state, met in the town of Spring Green, Wisconsin, where they got along famously — although there were reports of friendly insults being lobbed back and forth across the drawing table.
Wright and H.F. did have their differences, particularly when it came to Wright’s ever-expanding budget estimates. But their vision for inspired architecture was unwavering and shared.
Together, the two came to a kind of understanding. H.F. wanted to create a building that made his employees happy and productive. Wright wanted to eliminate the drab and dull nature of the American workplace by building an uplifting, organic environment.
Further, H.F. wanted to build something that would set SC Johnson apart. He wanted to show the world that the company was not just a little old family enterprise in a small town in the U.S. Midwest. It was bigger than that.
Considered a gamble by some, H.F.’s vision and Wright’s remarkable designs marked them both as pioneering visionaries. The is celebrated to this day as one of the top 25 buildings of the 20th century.
From its 43 miles of Pyrex glass tubing to the dendriform columns soaring in the Great Workroom, it is truly a unique work of art that reflects that innovation and adventure that are fundamental to the spirit of SC Johnson.
And the partnership didn’t stop there. In addition to the Administration Building, H.F. and Wright constructed the Johnson family home, in Racine, Wisconsin. And, in 1950, H.F. opened the , a state-of-the-art laboratory on the SC Johnson campus.
With the addition of each architectural masterpiece, the SC Johnson brand grew, too.