At SC Johnson, we are proud of our long legacy of corporate philanthropy – it is part of how we live our corporate values. If you are interested in applying for a grant from SC Johnson, start by reviewing these frequently asked questions about our company giving.
Charitable giving guidelines and laws vary a bit from country to country, but in general, organisations must be recognised or registered charities/nonprofits or be a government entity such as school, library or public agency.
• Political causes, social, athletic, veteran, labour and fraternal organisations, or religious institutions. SC Johnson may support certain programmes from such organisations if they benefit the community as a whole, for example a breakfast programme or shelter.
• Salary or wage support for staff or administration personnel other than what might be needed for administration of specific programmes or projects.
• General operating support for organisations that are already supported largely by larger organisations such as United Way, but consideration will be given to specific programmes that are not funded by these organisations.
• Sponsorship of events to support the charity/nonprofit fundraising efforts, however SC Johnson may support the underlying cause.
• Any programme, initiative, or effort that might pose a possible conflict of interest for SC Johnson or any of its businesses (e.g., programmes that provide a direct benefit to the company).
• SC Johnson does not support organisations that have a policy of discriminating on the basis of race, colour, religion (creed), sex, gender expression or transition, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, whether the discrimination policies are written or are in practice. Our policy is to not provide grants to any organisation that maintains such a policy.
No. Most SC Johnson operations around the world determine their giving based on an assessment of local needs and organisations’ impact. Only a few countries, such as the United States, have a formal grant process. If you have a question for your local SC Johnson operation, please contact them here.
SC Johnson predominately supports institutions or organisations that serve or directly impact communities where we have major operations. Our areas of focused giving include:
• Community & Economic Development - Programmes that improve the quality of life in the areas of economic and community infrastructure, capacity building, economic development, safe neighbourhoods, cultural experiences and job training.
• Social Services - Programmes that provide supportive services for low-income/at-risk individuals or families to help them on the road to self-sufficiency, such as services for families, disabled or elderly citizens, domestic disaster prevention, temporary shelter, and support for those who are disadvantaged or living in poverty.
• Health & Well-Being - Programmes that help educate about and combat mosquito-borne diseases, or encourage public health and wellness education and equitable access to health care.
• Education - Programmes that emphasise student academic achievement, with a focus on academic enrichment and advancement, such as early childhood education, K-12, post-secondary, technical and vocational schools.
• Sustainability & Environmental Programmes - Programmes that encourage sustainability through stewardship of community ecosystems, pollution abatement, natural resource conservation, environmental beautification, renewable energy and wildlife preservation.
• Product Contributions
EducationHands-on Science: Mr Muscle Science Lab Supports STEM Education in South Africa
Social ResponsibilitySustainable Farming and Economic Development in Rwanda: SC Johnson Supports Pyrethrum Flower Farming
PhilanthropySamuel Curtis Johnson Set the Standard for Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Giving
HealthSC Johnson to Support Development of 40 New Health Posts in Rural Rwanda
CommunityCorporate Philanthropy, Employee Voluntarism: SC Johnson Helps Make Communities Better
PhilanthropySC Johnson Grants and Product Donations Help Make Our Communities Better