8 Ways SC Johnson is Supporting a More Sustainable World for Your Family
You may know SC Johnson as the company that makes some of your favourite household products including Windex®, Pledge®, Glade® and OFF!®. But did you know we are also a long-time leader in working for environmental sustainability?
We have been continually improving our product chemistry since the 1970s. We have been using renewable energy sources to power our factories for more than 15 years. Our partnership with Plastic Bank has helped stop a billion plastic bottles from entering the world’s oceans.
And those are just a few examples. Here is a look at 8 ways we are working for a more sustainable world:
1. Choosing responsible ingredients. For 20 years, our SC Johnson Greenlist™ programme has helped us choose product ingredients to better protect human health and the environment. This includes assessing ingredients for long-term environmental hazards, meaning the potential to persist, accumulate or being toxic in the environment, and for acute risks, like aquatic toxicity.
4. Fighting deforestation. We source 100% of SC Johnson pulp, paper and packaging from sustainably managed sources or recycled materials. Plus, we support conservation projects that protect and preserve fragile ecosystems. In 1998, we helped create The Caatinga Association to study and protect the Caatinga ecoregion of Brazil. In 2017, we completed the largest-ever acre-for-acre match programme with Conservation International to conserve Amazon rainforest and re-plant approximately 3 million trees.
4. Innovating with our products. From reducing packaging to making electrical devices more energy efficient, we are always looking for innovative ways to make our products more sustainable. Here is a look at some recent advances, including our newest scented oil warmer from Glade® that lets users save energy and our Ziploc® paper sandwich bags that are easily recyclable.
6. Helping families recycle. We believe people would be more likely to recycle plastic film items like grocery bags, food packaging and Ziploc® brand bags if you could toss them in your curbside recycling like you do with aluminium cans. To make the case, SC Johnson is helping pilot curbside plastic film recycling programmes in multiple cities.
7. Closing the loop on plastic waste. We have been incorporating post-consumer recycled plastic into our packaging for decades, but we keep looking for ways to do more. Now, we are closing the recycling loop by creating a market for recycled material. SC Johnson partnerships with the Milwaukee Brewers and the Milwaukee Bucks are collecting plastic cups used at the stadiums and using the recycled plastic for limited edition Scrubbing Bubbles® bottles.
Watch our partnership video here.
We are committed to reducing our carbon emissions, energy consumption and waste; accelerating the transition to a circular economy; and helping drive sustainability efforts that deliver lasting change. Together, we believe these commitments help make a better world for this generation and for generations to come.