Forest Conservation: SC Johnson Continues Efforts to Stop Deforestation
At SC Johnson, we understand that the choices we make say a lot about us. They should. So, we want you to know that we work hard to operate in ways that are both sustainable and ethical. And when it comes to our impact on the planet, we choose carefully.
From investing in renewable energy, to reducing waste at our operations, to pursuing net-zero deforestation, we’re actively working to make choices that help protect the planet for future generations.
Saving Forests Starts with a Net-Zero Deforestation Policy
We work with our suppliers, stakeholders and partners to achieve net-zero deforestation through the sustainable sourcing of pulp, paper, packaging and palm oil by following the policies outlined below.
Protecting Forests with Our Pulp, Paper and Packaging Practices
SC Johnson will:
- Source 100% of our pulp, paper and packaging from sustainably managed sources (including FSC, PEFC or other credible standards) or from recycled material.
- Eliminate pulp and paper products containing fiber from controversial sources, such as fiber from High Conservation Value Areas and conflict wood (wood that was traded in a way that drives violent armed conflict or threatens national or region stability).
- Optimize our packaging in order to minimize the impact of our paperboard packaging.
- Consider the full life cycle impacts and impacts to biodiversity related to fiber choices.
- Verify suppliers sourcing virgin fiber from high risk regions or countries require verification from predominate regional or global forestry certification schemes.
- Work with our suppliers to achieve progressive improvement and will measure progress, using a supplier self-assessment method verified through regular, independent audits.
We also will purchase pulp, paper and packaging products from suppliers who:
- Adhere to the SC Johnson Supplier Code of Conduct.
- Employ sustainable forest management practices that are economically viable, environmentally responsible and socially beneficial.
- Avoid obtaining fiber from High Conservation Value (HCV) forests.
- Legally harvest and trade raw materials in compliance with relevant national and international laws and treaties.
- Engage in a two-way dialogue with us to assist in promoting continuous improvement in their processes.
Limiting Palm Oil Deforestation: Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil or Oil Derivatives
At SC Johnson, we use relatively small amounts of palm oil, palm kernel oil or derivatives, but we recognize the impact that non-sustainable palm oil production has on the planet and on forest conservation for future generations.
To support forest protection, we have restricted non-sustainable palm oil for new uses in our products, and we are working to eliminate the use of non-sustainable palm oil in SC Johnson products globally as new reformulations occur. Restricted materials cannot be used in our products or can only be used with approval by senior management with agreed upon exit dates.
To achieve these goals, SC Johnson will:
- Engage suppliers in discussions and review of their palm oil, palm kernel oil or derivatives production and sourcing practices.
- Suspend or eliminate palm oil purchases from any supplier that it is intentionally contributing to deforestation or the negative environmental or social issues or impacts created by the production of palm oil.
- Continually review and revise policies and practices to increase supply chain sustainability.
Deforestation Solutions Call for Multiple Conservation Organizations
We know that real progress cannot be achieved alone. Whether with our suppliers, businesses or other organizations, we believe that working collaboratively is a critical step in addressing global issues like deforestation.
We take a stand to protect forests while encouraging other companies to follow suit.
For the last decade, we’ve also supported a series of initiatives with Conservation International (CI) to raise both awareness and funds to protect the Amazon rainforest and drive reforestation.
Together, we have the opportunity to reach new heights and hold each other accountable as we keep working toward a more sustainable future.